Councillor Bryan Pottinger
I am currently an experienced Midlothian Councillor representing the people of Midlothian South and I am privileged to have been chosen again as a Labour candiate for the area which which includes Newtongrange, Gorebridge, Carrington, Temple and Middleton, as well as many small hamlets and individual properties in a large rural area.
I am opposition spokesperson for Health & Social Care as well as elected as Midlothian’s Equality Champion.
I was originally Elected as the Councillor for Newtongrange, Temple and Carrington from 1995 – 1999 and from 1999 - 2003 and then as a Councilor for the wider area of Midlothian South from May 2012 till present. I am still as dedicated to supporting my constituents as I was from my first day in office.
I have been involved in a number of campaigns and activities including;-
- Campaigned over manu years for the Waverley line to be re-opened.
- Campaigned for a new Newbattle Community High School.
- Campaigned against austerity and for the protectopn of front line service.
I am also currently actively involved in;-
- Midlothian Health & Social Care Board (The Integrated joint board) – Pleased to have at last a GP practice for Newtongrange coming to the former St David’s clinic later this year) after many years of campaigning.
- Midlothian Community Safety Partnership.
- Midlothian People’s Equality Group.
I am a member of;-
- UNITE – My trade Union for over 30 years
- The Co-operative Party – (Labour Party sister party) and campaign for their peoples issues.
- Newtongrange Star Junior Football Club – Season ticket and Social Club member
I have been very active recently with:-
- Newtongrange Community Council – Regular attendee with written reports, not forgetting Moorfoot and Gorebridge meetings also.
- Coalfields Regeneration Trust, Newtongrange Steering Group – one of the largest group participation that the CRT has known for years.
- Gorebridge Community Area Regeneration Scheme – CARS now nearing completion (but not forgetting to mention the new hub called “The Beacon” opening this year)
My vast experience in public office includes:-
- Chairman of the Midlothian Council Licensing Board.
- Scottish Chairperson of Local Government Forum Against Poverty.
- Convenor of Equal Opportunities Committee.
My Varied Employment History, Public, Private and Not-for Profit sectors;-
- Voluntary Sector Employment – Many years with Midlothian Advice & Resource Centre (MARC) where I performed various roles including Financial Management positions, Volunteer Co-ordinator and Project worker.
- Private Companies, from construction industry sales in three major companies to other sectors including Hotel or service industry.
- Other Public roles including being employed by an MP to assist with the Constituency case work, and the 3 times elected local Midlothian Council.